Saturday, March 26, 2011

Workouts On Vacation

I'm leaving tomorrow for a week long vacation. I'm very excited, but changes in normal routines can be rough on weight loss plans if you aren't careful. It's very easy to slip out of the habits you have been carefully building. So how can we keep on track while on vacation?

- First of all there is a time and a place for everything. And strictly dieting is not always practical when away. Or satisfying. I am going to be in Italy this week...a country known for its delicious food. If I eat only salads I will miss out on a big piece of the full Italian experience. It's not like I go there every day right? So I'm going to EAT!  And I'm going to enjoy it. A LOT! Bring on the pasta and gelato. I don't however want to put on ten pounds in one week, so my strategy is going to be portion control. To go ahead and eat the foods I want to, but just not go totally crazy and eat four platefuls or anything. Eating reasonable quantities is best for our body systems in every case. Even on vacation.

- Our normal workout routines may not be possible either if we do not have access to our usual equipment. But how about packing a pair of running shoes? They don't take up much space in your bag and you can run just about anywhere. Push ups and sits ups can also be done no matter where you are. It's better to so something than nothing at all. Be flexible. Check the websites of various hotels you are considering. Many have gyms that you can use which is wonderful.  I am staying with a friend, but our plan is to do enough walking to balance out our eating. If you are out and moving all day long sightseeing, you can burn an incredible amount of calories. So bring comfortable shoes and skip the taxies. Get out and walk. See the sights. Interact with the people. It's a far more interesting vacation than staying cooped up in cars and hotel rooms anyway.

- Many fitness gurus may disagree with me on this, but I also think it's ok now and then to just take time off and have fun. If you travel frequently this may be a little different for you, but if it just an occasional vacation then don't miss out on the full enjoyment of it by being anal retentive about your workouts or diet. The important thing is to try to keep up the habits you've formed rather than worry too much over the details. So go for a ten minute walk if nothing else. Just to continue to keep fitness in your mind so when you return you won't have any trouble sliding back into your precious workout plan. Giving your body and mind the chance to take a little break can be beneficial at times actually. Unless we then extend the vacation for 4 more months after we return. :-) Commit to yourself than as soon as you get back there will be no more slacking. And keep that promise to yourself.

Vacations are meant to be fun. So enjoy! Keep your body and mind active and watch your portions, but have a good time. I'm definitely planning to!

No comments:

Post a Comment