Friday, April 1, 2011

Menu Planning by, Lizbeth Opiola

Thank you to Lizbeth for contributing this post:

MENU PLANNING

For me step one in changing your eating plan is establishing a weekly meal plan.  It should be very specific. 


                    
Sun
Mon
Tues
Wed
Thurs
Fri
Sat


Breakfast







Am snack








Lunch







Pm snack







Dinner







On this chart, you should write all that you want to eat at each meal.  Be very specific.  For example, here is my Monday Meal plan:
Breakfast:  oatmeal with blueberries, 1 8-oz glass of OJ, yogurt
Am Snack:  Shake with peaches, pineapple, raspberries, banana, spinach, plain yogurt, cranberry juice, ice
Lunch:  leftovers from Sunday Dinner—vegetable stir fry, grilled chicken and roasted potatoes
Afternoon snack:  apple with peanut butter
Dinner:  Salmon in an oj & brown sugar glaze, rice (orange flavored), sugar snap peas, squash (depending on season depends on what squash I would make).
This allows me to do a few different things.  Making a weekly chart makes preparing meals a lot easier.  You know what to serve day to day.  You can go shopping once or twice a week (depending on your shopping habits) and know exactly what you need.  I always make my weekly menu plans prior to shopping.  Then I create my list from this meal plan.  This allows me to know exactly what I buy for each day.  Also I always make sure I eat prior to going to the store.  (A hungry stomach is a negative on my shopping list and wallet).  I may also look at the weekly sales prior to establishing my list/menu.  This allows me to use what is on sale that week ($$$ saved).  
Another shortcut, sometimes, I also make meals ahead of time.  If I know my week is crazy busy, then I know what to make in advance or make easier on those busy days.  Cutting, chopping beforehand (like on Sunday) can save a lot of time throughout the week.  Also plan easier meals on days that you are busy.  Leftovers can be a meal plan for a day.  I prefer to have my leftovers for lunch, but it can be a full meal.  The more detailed your menu, the easier it is to make your shopping list and the easier it is to make meals throughout the week.
  




Lizbeth Opiola I love to talk, discuss, research and actively seek healthy eating and nutrition.  By no means am I an expert, but I hope to be one day.  I have been active my entire life, worked in the fitness industry for many years and was constantly asked about health, weight loss and nutrition.  I first became interested as an athlete, but continued my love (it is one topic I can talk hours and hours on, sports being the other).  I read a lot of books on the topic, enrolled in a Nutrition Certificate Program at University of Utah and try to practice what I preach.  The information I provide is from my years of studying the topic and trying to get others interested in what they eat.  I believe it is a lot easier than what you think it is.  A healthy diet is attainable by all. You just have to start somewhere.







No comments:

Post a Comment