Friday, June 3, 2011

Hit The Dirt - The Joy Of Trail Running

Photo by, Ryan Faulkner Photography

No matter how great of shape I have been in, running has always eluded me. I've always found it difficult, and envied those who dash by with smiles on their faces and actually seem to be relishing the experience.  Weight lifting and aerobics I enjoy a lot, but when I ran I had such a hard time catching my breath and felt generally miserable. Given the fact that I have a secret dream of running a marathon one day, this love/hate relationship I've had with running is problematic. So yesterday after we did a Jillian Michaels workout, when my daughter suggested we go for a run I groaned out loud. Reluctantly I tagged along for what I assumed would be a half hour of misery again, but this time was different. We have a system of trails that weave throughout our neighborhood through some lovely forested areas. I have walked back there many times, but for some reason had never thought to run the trails. When running I had stuck to the paved streets or the dreaded treadmill.  Not sure why now. It just seemed the thing to do for some reason. But Haley has been running the trails for awhile now and wanted me to try. When we turned off the road onto the dirt path it was like I had a new lease on my running life in an instant. I was shocked! It was a COMPLETELY different feeling than I had ever had before on a run.  I was able to go faster and farther, and finally felt that sought after "runner's high" that I've heard so much about. I still was not a fabulous runner on day one, but for the first time I felt like I could be. I loved every minute of it.

So what made the difference? What are the pro's and cons of trail running?

Pro's:
-Often shaded so it's cooler.
-More interesting and beautiful scenery to look at which provides pleasant distractions and makes the time seem to go by quicker.
-The dirt or grass trails are far less stressful on the muscles and joints of your legs, because they cushion the impact of each footfall and offer a bit of a spring affect.
-Not usually as crowded as the busy streets, so you have the chance to find peace in the quiet atmosphere.
-Change from your normal routine and added challenge. You feel like a rock star when leaping over fallen trees :-)

Cons:
- You do have to watch your step on the trails. They are not as flat, and so you have to be careful not to hit a tree root,  rock or hole in the ground. You may want to invest in shoes designed for trail running that protect your feet better on the uneven terrain.
- If it has been raining, your trail could be muddy which is no fun at all.
- The flip side of the solitude is the potential danger. For women especially, it is best to run with a partner or know your area well and go only during daylight hours. Be mindful of your surroundings. No need to be paranoid, but unfortunately attacks do happen so it's best to be cautious and aware of what's happening around you.
- In heavily forested areas it can get dark and harder to see.

In my view the pro's well outweigh the con's, and I am excited to hit the trails again today. To run my marathon I know I'll have to get back out and train on the streets again one day, but for now I'm hitting the dirt and loving it!

No comments:

Post a Comment