Saturday, June 25, 2011

Silly little Balance Tip

I was doing some stretches the other day that required balance (pulling my foot behind me with one hand to stretch the quads) and I was having a hard time staying standing up straight. My son told me that one of his football coaches had shared a little tip with the team for balance moves. He told me to try putting my finger in my belly button. Not near it...actually IN it. I scoffed at first thinking that was crazy, but he assured me it was for real so I gave it a try. To my surprise my balance was restored immediately. I've tried it on other yoga moves since, and it has worked every time. I admit you do feel silly standing there with your finger in your belly button, so this may be a trick to use only in the privacy of your own home. :-) But it makes sense that pointing to your core orients you to your center and helps your brain establish equilibrium. Who knew something so ridiculous would work so well?

No comments:

Post a Comment