Thursday, June 23, 2011

A Walk in the Woods


I went for a fun walk in the woods with my three youngest children yesterday. After about 20 minutes they began dragging their feet and complaining that their legs hurt. I told them that was a good thing. It meant they were working their muscles hard, and that was how muscles get stronger. So if they went for walks like this their legs would soon be much stronger. Like Spiderman's. They got really excited when they heard this, and began talking about all the wonderful things they could do with power legs. "I can kick harder," one said. "And run faster," shouted another. "And jump higher," the third added. When they considered all the fantastic benefits they were on the verge of, their outlooks changed dramatically. I didn't hear one more complaint the rest of the walk. In fact, they picked up the pace and enjoyed themselves immensely. Practically skipping along. Were they less tired? No not really. 45 minutes is a pretty long haul for such young ones. It was simply their attitudes that had changed. And that made all the difference. It is so important for me to remember this simple lesson when I feel like quitting in the middle of a workout. Or when I feel the whines coming on and fret that I'm just too tired to get out of bed to run. Rather than focus on the difficulties, I need to ponder on all of the great benefits I am going to earn for my efforts. I'll look better, have fewer health problems, probably live longer and with more vitality, if I am willing to do the work it takes to get there. When I think of it that way I can dance through it all with a lighter step...thanks boys for teaching your old mom this lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment